Wednesday 30 May 2018

Love, Simon

For some reason I'm watching Love, Simon - a coming-of-age movie about a cute teen kid whose big secret is *drumroll!* ... he's gay. Normally I would fucking hate a premise like that, because I antagonise teenagers and secrets and gays (except for the bit where I miss being a teenager, am gay and live a double life I really enjoy. But other than that.) I had a dream about it - a sequence of character arches coming to a closure of people either telling their circle their secret or some sort of closure (the strangest of which was two FBI agents setting the arrest of a picnic in which it turns out all the white-picket-fence families with elder 'aunts' actually treat those elder women as slaves. Don't ask. It's because of the L.Cohen line from Everybody knows: ... the deal is rotten, Old Black Joe still picking cotton for your ribbons and bows...

Long story short, I'm watching this teenage drama shit and I absolutely love how it's done. I haven't seen a teenage angst movie so devoid of pathos since The Edge of Seventeen. It's like Juno. It's adorable. 


0 comments: