Sunday 12 May 2019

Lovely long walk

There's a traditional walk, about 35 km, around the capital, commemorating the location of a barbed fence put there during the WWII - that's what it's called - 'Walking alongside the wire'. I've heard about it every year, but I as never quite in the mood to go, even though people from all around come and there's usually around 35.000 participants, albeit not all walk the full circle. There are 8 (9) checkpoints, so young kids from schools, which are about half of the participants, only do four and probably the shorter distances. Then there's running and other variations. But walking is the main event.
        The neighbor's dad has been said to walk it a few times by now, so I asked if I can tag along and he reminded me this may require some form of fitness. Oh, mister. You've not seen me walk. Okay, so I am not the youngest and I am not the lightest, but even though I feel it in the end, and a day later, the neighbor (who didn't notice the walk was long in the slightest, but she's a young slim thing) and I finished two hours before her dad, having a great time. I overpacked, because there was plenty of road-side activity and it would be totally unnecessary to carry water, since they kept serving root beer, lemonade, coffee, tea and water and the neighbour's dad brought a ton of protein bars and sandwiches, which I declined, explaining I usually go everywhere with enough flapjacks to last me a nuclear winter (two.) The weather was ideal and the path is unusually flawless - the vast majority of it is packed mud or gravel, super comfortable to walk on, under thick old trees providing delicious shade. There's a small hill in the middle and last stretch is 6 km on asphalt pavement, which is the least of my favorite terrains. Clearly not just mine, as most people opted on walking an abandoned rail-o-track or roadside. You could tell who was approaching the last checkpoint (you can start at any checkpoint, doesn't matter, just as long as you come full circle.) by the way they walked. Neighbour's dad is the type to approach famous people, so he kept taking selfies, but I only met one acquaintance and mostly stared at people's day packs and shoes. Lots of dogs, too! we were told it's not recommended for dogs, but there were hundreds! I missed the dumb fuck of my mutt every time I saw a beagle. Neighbour missed hers every time she saw a dachshund. 
        In the end you get a bronze medal (you get silver after having walked the circle five occasions), and we had hamburgers and coffee and later I had green ice-cream and a pop-tart, dragging myself another small walk with MyMaja, reporting on all of the events. 

         People kept asking how come the General didn't walk along and I replied every time: I fail to bullshit him into EVERY nonsense I decide to do :D



(not my photos...)


0 comments: