Monday 21 February 2022

Skin rashes and epoxy testing, in that order

Keep trying to explain to G the Ediacaran Snowball Earth event, but keep forgetting the long words and who did what to whom in the sense of oxygen, carbon dioxide, sulphur and the cyanobacteria. Don't ask. My brain is an omelette. An excited, happy, if frightfully unstable omelette, but an omelette nonetheless. The psoriasis patch on the inside of my elbow is getting bigger and bigger and bigger and I can't convince it, this is happy stress. (I haven't had that one in 20 years - usually my palms are the ones to start to crack). Spent this rainy weekend messing around with the new-bought resin supplies. First, G helped me pour the first dice cap mould, which, so far, is curing and looks fine. G is too fussy, though, too pedant and he makes me nervous - I don't want to fuck anything up in his presence, so I start to shake and pant. The cheap Chinese-store baking frame seeped a bit, but not too much. We even found some old dollar-store batteries for my little scale (i.e. shit I have lying around the house.) What we could NOT find was my old heat gun. I have an excellent one, I just can't find it. It's what happens when you store things neatly so you won't lose them. The second half of the mould was nastier, vaseline everywhere, refusing to fit, not curing properly, I was angry and nothing makes me angrier than G being angry because I'm angry. Man, I have the temper of a banshee on crack. Let me have this one, okay?



Once he left, secretly, without telling him, I mixed the resin on my own - I wanted to see what happens if I use random inks and what happens if I try very hard to avoid bubbles or add bubbles. Without proper moulds, for now, I just used water balloons, so now I have a handful of ugly little glass turds, with some multicoloured dirt on top, and now I know acrylic ink won't work. I've bought about a dozen or so proper alcohol inks instead, and some more little moulds. The five stores I've been to in the meanwhile, sell nothing in the sense of baking silicone that I could use - just more and more glitter. I now have two cases full of glitter of all kinds. I look like a travelling witch doctor. 

0 comments: