Thursday 29 August 2019

Day 3 or 4 “You knowingly and willfully dragged me into this hell!” … “You mean SEASIDE VACATION?!”

Flawless day, finally. For all my planning and plotting last night, to grab another kayak and load it with water and pancakes and go around the island, it was wonderful. I got up super early to make pancakes, distributing some to bribe people into sort of approving of me (and for supper tonight everyone is making pancakes; mine tend to inspire), putting jam in half and Nutella in half and adding a can of mixed fruit with, stuffing it all in a Tupperware. Although there is a tiny puncture in the floor of my boat, it didn’t make a difference, I blew it up and packed it with snorkling gear and sunblock, and rope, in case the General gets too annoyed with having to paddle, I’d just drag him behind. His was a hard boat and had excellent drift. Mine is more comfry, though. One of the blow-up seats enables you to kind of recline and almost paddle laying down. This lets you closer to water and you kind of have a longer pull.
Our first stop was the island-peninsula (depending on the tide) at the northmost end. Ancient earthquake wrinkled the soft sediment bed into this adorable curly formation and in the midst of the tiny bay a sandstone throne, licked into a statuesque shape IDEAL for sex, oral or otherwise. Almost like a kinky altar, that. Even the most reserved of geologists would have to agree.
I explored the terrain a wee bit, scaring the lizards and snakes, spotting a few bunnies and a few incoming tourists who were waiting for the sea level to drop enough for the land bridge between the big and little isles to become a thing.
We had to paddle way around and the sea was as flat as glass. Were it not for the haze, all of the other islands would appear easily accessible. I have my eye on the Barren Isle, but there can’t be any wind or any wave or any currents or I wouldn’t be able to make it. There, yes. Back … not really.
The next stop was three capes down and then we had the picnic, eating the compote fruit and dripping chocolate pancakes with our hands. I snorkeled a little, lightly, and the General sat on the rocks, baking, watching over me. The clouds cleared at that point, though, and nearing noon, it got too hot, so we set back. Got in around one, straight to bed.
To show my appreciation of his effort, I went to town at around four .. (Not the best idea, but okay.) G had a fierce craving for meat, so I offed to find something that sell either BBQ or any kind of stuff I could mix into hi eggs for breakfast. Though it was way too fucking hot for hiking and I am still purple in the face now, after a half-hour cold shower and two hours later, the town wasn’t all that far away. There were plenty local options, for which I was too hot to experiment with, so I went into the super chill supermarket and got G some ready-made sausages, a risotto and beer. I got myself some postcards, ice coffee and strudel. There was a concert in the camp last night, not too terrible, so I am in a mood to listen to my music a little, for a change from sea and crickets and screaming toddlers. Too tired to move, really. I think I’ll call in an early night and go read something trivial.

0 comments: