Friday 4 December 2020

Some more 'cruel strikers' ...

 As I've mentioned before, the concept of a 'cruel striker' is what I call a fake letter or a fake message, designed to make someone feel better, even though it is a very thin, transparent lie. not for the piece of paper itself, but for the sense of it. To write 'cruel strikers' is akin to giving someone a bullshit faith experience or somesuch. A tiny, private matter. Criminally arrogant, engineered for pure good. 


So. My gran will be a 100 tomorrow. I've not seen her in several months and they don't allow visits even though a window, as they did in the spring. There isn't much I can buy and send her, except perhaps fake flowers, which would be allowed and easily disinfected. She can't hear or see well enough for the phone, which we've tried, and all that stuff we used to gift her - blankies, perfumes, toiletries, sweets, room decor and so on, none of that serves her any longer, half because she's always kept her room minimal and just gives clutter away, but mostly because the caretakers already provide all the bath products needed and the retirement home is really taking great care of her. Materially, she lacks for nothing. Much of the rest she can't really see. 


So the only thing I could think of, is to write a bunch of cruel strikers. I used different pens and different writings and I'll admit I could have used a lot nicer handwriting for mum, as that one is probably the only one she'll care about, but G helped me deliver a dozen of them to the Home's address, so in my mind, when today the caretakers visit her, she'll have a dozen different greeting cards. I will probably buy and write and send some more, so they keep coming for the next few days. I sign almost everyone I can think of, from people in this building to people who work in the bakery across the street. I am of half a mind to sign my late brother, but I desire none to post it that far. I'd even sign the president, but he's an asshole and she would just get angry if he wrote to her - though I think the major does congratulate the centenarians. Some signees know of this, others will never find out. It matters too little, I think. I think she will only care that her room is suddenly full of best wishes and greetings. That's the idea, at least. Cruel strikers never really work. 

0 comments: