Thursday 6 January 2022

Sometimes when people speak to me, I can't understand why they would say what they say. I forget that some people do that. I've been married to G for so long, it's understood no other man would just walk up to me and say anything, no matter how friendly. It's just not considered proper form to address another man's wife and besides, fairly all of his acquaintances by now know I'm half-autistic. 

... And then a guy comes up to me and says: "That's a sure way to blow your shoulder right off."

        We were playing with hunting rifles. (Hunters like to compare those sort of things.) The General's 12-gauges are all too big for me, I can barely hold them, but his colleague has a much smaller, much lighter bolt-action (Which I prefer.) and as I aimed, a third guy said that about my shoulder. 

        I did not understand at all. Like, why would ... anyone say anything like that to me at all? Not to mention we were wearing winter parkas. Even if I did hold it wrong - there are not all that many ways to shoulder a rifle - he couldn't possibly see it, standing behind me. 

        I was so confused, I just looked at G and worried I've done something wrong and someone much smarter was just trying to be helpful.

        "She was an army marksman, buddy," smiled the General. 

        But why would the guy say something like that to me?

       Guess sometimes some guys just need to talk down to a female as if she was a moron who shouldn't be confusing shotguns with Gucci purses? 

         Or maybe I should just stick to my bow. 

0 comments: