Wednesday 19 September 2018

Saddest fucking tiny story ever

I had a coffee date yestereve and whilst waiting for my company, I veered into a nearest bookstore to pass time and fondle books, as you do. I picked up a teeny tiny book, half illustrated, half a few lines, couldn't have been more than ten pages. I read the whole thing and then started to cry in the middle of the store. The salesman must have thought I was mental.

It's a religious story, but it makes sense, so I will forgive just this one and few others. It's about a woman who is a very bad mother, she just likes to party and whore and teaches none the two boys she has to pray or work or be good men - they leave as soon as they can. She then has another baby, which she hates, because she wants to continue to have a youthful, frivolous life, but the baby dies something like one day old or just after the baptism. Its tiny soul flies around the room like a little bird and up to heaven, but a small niche opens and the tiny soul is told she cannot enter Heaven until she finds ... dunno, something like a bucket full of water which flows upstream or something. She searches forever to find such a stream, asking the sun for help and the moon, but no luck. She then comes upon an old familiar room where an old woman sits, talking to Old Age - the woman says leave, old age, I am not ready for you, I am young, I want to have fun. Old Age says 'what young, look at you. You're old, you squandered your life. Where are your children, your good deeds?' The woman starts to think what she's done and starts to cry, realising she fucked up completely. The tiny soul finally finds an up flowing endless stream and fills the bucket with her mother's tears. Alas, still she cannot enter Heaven. She is told she must sit upon a juniper bush or some such, until it is dry. She finds one but she sits for seven years upon it and it won't dry. One night two old bandits come so cot there. One says 'I was cold last night, I hid in a church and after i burnt all the benches, I put the wooden saints onto the fire as well...' The other says: 'I was hungry last night, broke into a mill, killed the miller and his wife and then the daughters gave me everything I wanted to eat'. From their campfire the juniper bush catches fire yet the bird keeps sitting on it. The two bandits laugh, saying look at the stupid bird, it's burning but it won't leave. The bird cries in agony, how she cannot leave until it dries or she won't get to Heaven. The two bandits start to weep, how there is never going to be any Heaven for them, one an arsonist, the other a murderer, they are irredeemable. The bird then finally flies up from the destroyed bush and asks if after all this suffering, she may now enter, and now she may. The gatekeeper tells her that she never suffered for her own soul, but for the souls of her mother and brothers. 

That is some fucked up shit, man. The dude who wrote these stories ... that is like a tsar of ink. Damn it.

0 comments: