Thursday 28 March 2019

Tried for the second time in a row to walk long and run a little. Alas, the damn heel isn't letting me pretend I am actually not in half bad shape. I've lost weight, I can tell as much, because the bottom half of my tummy is now sooner visible and I can see the scars more prominently featured. I had a talented doctor, you can barely find two out of the four. They look like water striders. 

Last weekend was really sublime - probably because the weather was so very lovely: Saturday we went to the in-laws and I painted the beehives while the boys cut down cypress fence. The dog got worn down by the kids tossing tennis balls across the valley field, the General incidentally locked me into the garage and I had to climb out of the window and it was warm enough for short sleeves. (Considering the previous Tuesday there were nine inches of snow in an hour.)

Day after was certainly warm enough for short sleeves and I have the first red neck of the season to prove it: we went to my parent's place to make a platform on the edge of the forest, a foundation for the visiting two hives. The dog was tied to the grapevines, but she was tired enough to sleep in the sun the whole day anyway. We had a cool brunch of pork roast and bread and butter and a fruit salad, and G and I fell asleep in the bathtub later, compactly entwined like twins in a walnut shell. 

The weather now is shitty, depressing and grey and there's no grass yet to speak of, yet alone leaves. But I can make twenty plus kilometers fairly easily, mild sore thighs, were it not for the tendon. On one side exercise has been known to strengthen it and I was able to run easily once I got it warm enough ... but if I pushed it too liberally over the summer, then forget about winter hikes. Either way, it should make up its mind in the next couple of days, because knowing April, once a heavy enough rain falls, everything will explode in bloom and so will my drifter nature.

0 comments: