Friday 14 February 2020

"No, I am really not a nightmare, this really is real ..."

Haha. Another new for me.
In fact, when studying dreams and nocturnal brain dynamics, one of the ways to wake yourself up instantly, as said, was to become aware you are dreaming. This engages the frontal lobe, otherwise unengaged part of the dreaming brain, and janks you awake.
        As per usual these days, while waiting for the dentist to confirm our appointment, I have bad dreams about teeth. In this dream my own was unavailable and a colleague of mine took me to see an alternative - but this woman was rude and cruel and dismissive and would not listen to my priority list (the broken tooth first, as I worry I may damage it further when eating, then the one most hurting and then the rest.) She put that mold thing around the aching one - the mold that hurt impossibly the last time, where the dentist reconstructed the damage from the decrepit crown), and when I was walking home, face numb from the painkiller, I could sense that tooth was so stressed it was coming out. This caused me to tongue it and tongue other parts of the mouth and suddenly, the faster I ran down the VERY long street (one of those London endless ones) more of my dental reconstruction of the previous years was coming undone - finally an iron, rusty flakes of the prosthesis of the top of my mouth with several back teeth attached came undone and beneath it, more flakes of iron fake. Finally I stopped running, my hands full of iron and teeth and said: what the fuck is this, is this a nightmare?

And, I kid you not, the nightmare itself began to try and gaslight me. No, of course it's not a nightmare, of course it's real. In a voice that clearly stated I caught it overplaying the frustration, caught it with its pants down.
       That has never happened to me before. It was hilarious. An embarrassed nightmare backpedaling on an overkill of a phobia. The dream then lingered a little, for a few minutes, me carrying what remained of my teeth in the palm of my hand, and I wasn't feeling so worried anymore. Rather amused, to be honest. 

0 comments: