Saturday 26 September 2020

But where do all the bobbypins go?

 Good thing I'm too lazy to truly be convinced by the joys of lack of sleeping, because, you know, one MAY claim to only require 5 hours a night to exist, with perhaps an hour of nap after lunch, but then a few days into this treatment - as it happens every time - I sleep through two alarms that would wake up a firefighter's station, standing the General up and now have to either hop on a bike and rush after him, or alternatively, try to catch a Saturday train... 

The problem is I have too many awesome things to do and I really want to be doing them. All of them. Now!

     I've more-less successfully finished my very first box of bronze finds from the museum, which I have been asked to sketch for the purposes of a catalogue. I am now, almost officially, an archaeologists' apprentice. Nerdy stuff nobody else wants. The idea was to learn how to do a proper sketch, using the comb and the beak ruler, but alas, I am restless and I've just learned to take a photo, draw off the photo and then adjust the mini discrepancies in measurements. I also tend to try to really PORTRAY the bitch, whereas my job is to just outline it. I really REALLY like side views of things, often drawing several from various angles, which will later be entirely useless. So a lot of lines within or entire drawings are just a waste of time, but they are just so damn adorable. There's a movie coming out, some dikey whine-fest about Molly Anning, which is the opposite of how I feel. There may even be talk of me going out into the field. Whaaaaaa O.O

Finishing college, majoring in archaeology, has ever been on my list, it's probably even in my blood. After the new car, new house, new camera and walking the PCT, I can totally see myself doing something as wild. Abstract enough to be densely plausible.

The second thing  is painting cityscapes, or at least learning to, in a tiny Hahnemuhle sketchbook, following a purchased online course. Or two. The promise was to paint something every day. Mostly I make copies, but sometimes I make original things. I am not yet very good at painting buildings - I cram too much of everything and have little to no control over how much brightness or how much shadow I want to deploy. But, practice.

Addicted to purchasing Daniel Smith paint - and also genuinely a LOT of expensive drawing material like brushes, paper, pencils, pods, palettes and other P-starting words, I've unsuccessfully tried four times to buy another Kindle, eventually just spending the money on more Jackson's Art Supplies stuff. I keep buying theirs, just so that I can sneak in more and more DS paint. As a result, I now have enough supplies to last me two lifetimes. I have enough to open my own store, haha, if only I wasn't so territorial. It's mine, all mine!! I may stab someone if they reach for a single pencil. Like Smaug on his treasure. I know totally how he felt.

I have SO many beautiful books I've not yet even flipped though. A lot of them have pictures. Most, to be fair. Survival guidebooks and ancient text catalogues, Watchmen comic and Paradise lost in graphic novel version, tutorials and poetry and almost everything I could find by Walter Moers in two different languages.

Third thing, of course, is the Goose. Beckoning me almost daily, in small hints. Like a young horse coming to my cottage window to remind me he was purchased for outdoor adventure. I know, I know.

Fourth thing is the harvest, which is tomorrow. Then I really have to go and see gran. Really do.

And finally, in two days, I have promised to start Batch 6. Right after harvest. 

But first, catching a train, crossing a region and trying to catch G. If I miss him, he will be back home by the time I get there. Stupid circle. It's a principle of the thing. Better take the bike helmet, in case I need to borrow a bike to get home again, just in case. He has been known to abandon me in places for disobeying him. Though I usually get back faster than him in such cases, just to annoy him further :D

Uh, and there's a hive I'm trying to salvage. Story for another time. Fickle bees. 

0 comments: