Monday 7 September 2020

Some pickies.. (Rogla and Zrece)

 Day 1 I was off to Black lake, while G chillaxed with a book and Tv in the hotel - the day started very nice and sunny, but it soon began to drizzle, it got super windy towards the top and then, at the lake, it just rained like a bitch. My trenchcoat proved to be slightly less water-resistant than I had hoped. 

I missed the hilltop I was after on the first try, so had to drive around a bit, but I had no complaints, as the region is magnificent. On the drive down the weather got sunny and hot again. In the afternoon the plan was to go to the Konjice castle and it began to drizzle again as soon as I parked. After a coffee and cake in a delicious little cafe, waiting for the rain to stop, it started pouring like there's no tomorrow. That stopped, too, as soon as I threw in the towel and returned to the hotel. 


It's called Black lake because of some odd algae. In truth it looks like coffee










The path to the Black lake is this chunky wooden ramp through a slightly aired-out conifer forest, really really pleasant stroll. 







This is a small pond behind the hotel, with a neat evening walking path. 

Days 2 and 3 The next day the General bit the bullet and joined me, although we weren't quite dressed for how cold it got: the plan was to poke around a bit and climb a watchtower, situated within a tree-top walkway. The view was awesome, if cloudy, and although the heights made me dizzy, going down the slide twice turned my tummy back the right way and I was fine :D Luckily the gift shop was so overpriced, I bought absolutely nothing, even though there were many super cute plush animals supposedly representing regional fauna. 







That afternoon, too, it rained as I tried to drive to the stupid castle, but ultimately I just gave up, wrote a bad review of the Tourist information center, which dismissed me, and tried to paint a little. It's not like I had 458 watercolours with me. I'm not even kidding. 

The third day I offed to explore the other direction, the smaller hills south of the hotel. the plan was to locate some lost ruins, but I walked too long and too far and by the time I found the correct hill, I was already too tired to bother climbing another. Did go through an interesting town, though. Should probably check that one out again some time in the future... 

0 comments: