Tuesday 11 May 2021

Stupid heat almost killed me ...

Mum realised I wasn't kidding when I mentioned four or five times the vineyard needs to be strayed, but we were running out of time in between rainy weeks and the General was at work, so I figured, what the heck, the grapes are just budding, I can do that by myself in a couple of hours... 


Well, yes. In theory. First, I almost always, always need to buy a new spray pump, as the old ones simply fall apart - and I can only use a 5 liter one, because I am not strong enough to carry 10 liters up and down the hill all day. Having forgotten my wallet, mum had to drive me to the Home Depo and mum's a terrible driver. Next, when it's two people spraying, one keeps bringing the material to the one with the pump - in my case, it was just me. And our hill is freaking steep. 


Then it got hot. It was already around noon, windy and clouds were to bring rain in the eve, but mum asked to start at nine - as I usually prefer to start at dawn. It got SO hot. I didn't think it will take me that long, so I didn't bring any water. This resulted in me sobbing, gasping in a shadow of a forest edge, being stung by flies and feeling like a bunch of ticks are crawling all over me. I was purple, shaking all over (keep in mind one needs to be dressed head to toe while using those chemicals.) Fuck it was hot. I almost considered drinking from a rainwater tank, but managed to drag myself back to the house. Had to take a pill for the horrid headache dehydration invited, and slept a little, while the General got back from work, caressing my hair like I was a decrepit field donkey. Later, when it got cloudy and I've rested, it was fun to work again. It just took six hours longer than I anticipated. 


Where will I hide from the summer heat if the theatres are all closed? 

0 comments: