Saturday 30 October 2021

I know I shouldn't feel this way, it makes me a hypocrite, but I can't but find it righteous when I hear a story about nature taking back what's hers. We were on a trip the other day, up a magnificent gorge, and the remains - about 100 years old - of three large structures disrupted the pathway by a tiny little river. The guide explained there used to be three very large sawmills here, the most industrious of the region, cutting down trees and cutting material for builders and carpenters at a remarkably profitable rate - horses and carts carried the wood in and out non-stop. Until one day a freak debris dam blocked the water and during a storm a flash flood took out the entirety of the industry, leaving not a single saw whole. 


I am sure there must have been people who suffered greatly from this loss, families who lost their jobs and investments which probably generated debt for generations. But that forest took back what was theirs and banished the henchmen of its trees forever. Respect.

0 comments: