Thursday, 27 October 2016

Lovely day

Had a truly lovely day, family-wise. As soon as G woke me (this was around nine, because I haven’t really gone to bed until the morning, drawing and starting to read a horror parody of an Ikea catalogue called Horrorstör), I grabbed the car and drove uphill to my ancestors. The new dog Emi 2.0 and Illyria got into another few bitch fights, leaving Lyra with a torn ear and some fur flying, but other than that they got tired of it eventually and stopped of their own accord. Still I have to give props to myself for pulling apart a 60kg Rottweiler with one hand, a pissed off 30 kilo retriever with the other by their respective collars and kicking the rabid beagle away with my foot. Easily a way to lose a finger. Got my heart rate up better than a strong coffee. The first few times. Then it just got old.
                Mum and dad offed to ‘roll the nets’ – it’s a task after the vine harvest where you have to take the anti-hail and birds nets off the grapevine terraces. Mum brought the nets close and dad was to roll them onto a tube. Like all couples, this meant they spent the majority of the process fighting and bickering. I asked dad if he misses me much, as when I was his spotter, we worked well and fast and never fought. Still, the sun was out and the dogs were trying to kill one another and I was telling dad about my latest MRA finds. Clearly I took over from mum and did the bringing part. In the few hours we almost got a third of the first vineyard done. My sister and her dog arrived and they spent some time schooling Emi 2.0. Emi 2.0 is a wonderful dog, but she’s not been trained in any respect. It’s fun to watch her learn new things daily, like ‘stay’ or ‘heel’ or ‘release’. Sis brought a tug-of-war toy for her, because she loves to play tug, but Tara, the old Rottweiler took it, dragged my sis and Emi around a bit, then offed to the orchard and would not relinquish the tuggie until we hid it again.
                I got very hungry and ate a piece of bread and butter, but dad’s made a home-made soup, his speciality, and that was delicious, I even cut off bits of cooked ribs, dipped in mustard, which is a rare thing for me. Then again I have been yearning for iron-rich nutrient for a few days now, even buying myself raspberry-beet bars. In the end mum made me apricot fruit salad. I got home, tired as a dog (dogs have by now fallen asleep outside in the sun.). Kings of Leon ‘Walls’ was playing on the radio as I drove to town. The General asked me to go buy him some root beer and then made me go to sleep. Later I just woke up and had the lunch he made for me while I was away, watching Australian Next Top Model, one of my guilty pleasure shows, and loaded the washer with about 300 socks. Am off to hang them now.I've long stopped trying to pair them. I just put them in a huge basket once they're dry and we just pick them, matching the density, not the shape anymore :D