Wednesday 2 October 2019

I am making a conscious effort to join some drawing challenges, and stay on them for at least a week...

Notoriously bad at keeping up with homework, and perfectly able to slaughter seven people when what I am trying to do doesn't come out right, time to face the fact I am really, really bad at drawing. I haven't always been, but what started as a PTSD has turned into an equivalent of a stroke. So, waiting for the talent to return ... it's been two years. Fuck it.
       Now, 'talent' doesn't mean you're good at something, it just means that you are willing to devote a shitload of time to practice something. And #inktober sounded like the exact thing I need if I want to get back on that lame three-legged half dead war horse called illustration.

Here are the things I need to re-learn:
- control of the wrist
- control of the elbow
- posture
- eyesight
- breathing
- control of the grip
- understanding paper
- understanding the brush
- understanding the paint. I still use watercolor as if it were tempera. How long will I keep doing that, man, until I die?

October, the summer-est of all autumn months, has four challenges ongoing. I fucked up one already, but... ye, whatever.

Inktober - drawing with just ink. I can't, yet. I chose a weird dark shitty paper, but still - I am not yet able to draw what needs to be drawn in just two colors. Also, my draw is shit. I shake and I yank the line, like a noob.

Artober - this one I misread and made four drawings by the time I realized it was also supposed to be done just in ink. Ah, well.

Drawlloween - am using dark gray paper, it's supposed to be goth themed. Managed one so far. Tore up the other five. They were terrible. I can only draw the things that have long sat in my head and fail to draw anything I've not tried before. And the brain refuses to peek out of the box. Which is what the challenge is about.

Okay, a lot of people do cheat and draw something for days to post, and a lot of them also just post random shit they had lying around that has nothing to do with the title. But okay.

Nini's Prompts - the 52 weeks year-round challenge. I've finally jumped on the wagon of this one, quite literally as the first prompt was a caravan. She does these masterfully. So does another lady, whose heart really seems to be in illustration - and mine really isn't. It's still outside in the rain.

But it's only been day two.
Practice, practice, practice. Constancy and consistency are two of the things I really, really, really lack.

Colorless cameleon

Mindless

Ice Cream

Elephant with sniffles

Vampire

Ring

Caravan

(Re) Build

Snufkin

An arrogant rose

0 comments: