Friday 4 October 2019

Sleeping and cold, because stupid

The weirdest thing, lotsa people say that sleeping with their lover is right there at the top of the things they enjoy most and find most comforting. I wasn't sure until recently, though I've always suspected, the General really makes sure my kidneys are covered when I sleep. He does this in his own sleep. We are both prone to pushing covers off ourselves - he bunches his huge fluffy duvet and hugs it and sleeps on it, I slip out from under my tiny blankie and just sleep next, usually big-spooning or just kind 'hidden' in the small of his enormous back. But whenever he stirs or not even stirs, just rolls, he checks, tugs, pulls the blankie over my midriff, knowing the one place I hate being chilly is my lower side and then proceeds to bunch me with the duvet and sleeps on top of me.
       Today, being away from home, I did that dumb thing I always do, I opened the window and just napped on the bed, without any covers. My body got SO cold, not to mention I slept on the arm, which was literally numb and frozen for it, it was painful by the time I woke up. Nobody covered me, nobody made sure I am in a proper position. No dreams, because the entirety of my sugar supply avoided the brain and just invested everything it had into the furnace system.
       What a weird thing. Your own body forgetting how to sleep alone and actually depending on someone else to moderate it through the night. It's just the dumbest thing. A whole weirder layer of finding someone homey.

0 comments: