Sunday 5 July 2020

Visiting some iron-age archaeo sites in the eastern part of the country

"... We will NEVER be slaves! BUT we will BE -- !!"
       "Archaeology explorers?"
       "No, you dumb fucking dweeb. CONQUERORS!"
       "Aw."

Today was 'my' day, so I got to choose where I wanted to spend the Saturday: although Poetovian city museum was at the top of the list, G's ankle is acting up again and making him walk for miles through long castle halls to look at paintings and wares display was not looking up. The second option were a few Iron Age sites - two locations of burial mounts and a contemporary mock village.

I've never seen these locations before, so even though they may not be as exciting as museum visits, and there was a fucktillion of mosquitoes, I've now visited them and can say so. We were following a cute book which describes the sites rather dramatically, so unless someone is a dweeb like me, it may not seem very worth the drive (Looking at you, G and dog.) The first was a Brengova site, a forest-hiding collection of burial mounds just above the highway.






I think only two were properly excavated - one showing the remains from above and another has a bit of a tunnel leading to it. Most of the others have a bit of a dip in the middle, showing the lid has concaved. These were burials of cremated nobility - I'd guess where the highway is today some massive merchant artery once paved and there were prominent settlements all around. While we were driving around the Poetovian plane, there quite a bit of random tiny villages sporting unusually posh architecture. We're talking fifty houses in the middle of nowhere and three have collonade step ways. That's not usual.















The second location was that of the Stone age settlement - mud houses, made of local, handmade elements, and a bit of a bread oven, loom, fish rack and so on. It was not easy to find either, but I'm sure when there's a re-enactment going on it's really cute. From there a camp was supposed to offer for primitive living experience, but I couldn't;t find it. I followed a forest footpath alongside a small river until it met with Mura, my father's homeland river. Mura is certainly a prominent force of nature and I would sit and write a poem then and there, if every blood-sucking insect in the zip code area didn't hone in on me and tried to kill me.







We passed through Lotmerk, a city I don't think I've ever paid attention to before. It was surprisingly modern and vast. I mean the square, the rest was brief and tiny and their only hotel was long closed. There will be a fantasy&horror movie festival called Grossman there in a week or so. We had good coffee and some ice-cream.

The last stop was beneath the Poetovian Mountain (on top of which a really oversized church sits), a seemingly useless bunker, with some hints of horsemen-class burial mounts, sleeping forlorn in the midst of fields. We made out a little, finished some of our food and decided to drive home - it was almost four in the afternoon and it was enough for one day. the next trip will have more to do with Celtic or Illyrian culture. I haven't been to Rifnik in 15 or more years, and I drive by that damn hill every day.



0 comments: