Wednesday 29 July 2020

LoL, so here is my latest weird little addiction ...

So a few weeks back, when a colleague asked which of the mass-produced uppest tier watercolours is best, I had to admit I've never been able to afford them to actually try. Well, I certainly can afford them now and if you're gonna sound smart, you may as well do research, right? So, I made a list of paints I would like to try from all the best makers on JAS. As it happens, one of my clients sometimes pays me in parts and so as to make it easier, we do the second bit, usually just a few bucks, via Paypal. The General has long forgotten he has a PayPal, but I haven't. And so it began. First, some testing the waters. Five Daniel Smith halfpans. Not the fullest pans, alright, fine, and I already had a drop of one. But sure. Worth the thrill. Second cleaning-of-the-PayPal stash went for purchasing aluminium paint tubes, for the paint which refuses to work well after it gets too dry. Also two Daniel Smith and one Van Gogh, no biggie. Third turn was to purchase empty halfpans, as I genuinely direly require them and Ali Express is taking literally MONTHS ... and also three Daniel Smith and some random Japanese provider I kinda though makes interesting hues.
       And in the meanwhile, Schmincke has put out this oddly delicious, heavily granulating dual-colour special edition, which I wasn't going to bother with too much, as often you get the exact same effect if you just mix their existing two paints together, but then it got totally sold out and I began to freak out.
       They ought to be on sale until 7.8., and on 8.8. they are said to return to stock. But I went online to check another name on my list - mainly because it turned out Daniel Smith uses some of the exact same pigments from the exact same Ali Express store as I have. That much about that. - and the site kept kicking me to a Russian version of itself. I bothered clicking 'translate to English' a few times, then just winged it in my best rudimentary Russian. And on that version, the curious Schmincke duals were still available. Still? Again? Already? And in the panic, I straight out started clicking them and bought them, without having logged in. Thus no buyer's points, no tracking number, no record, nothing.
      Shit. I felt rather 'had this one coming' mini slaps. Because of course the PayPal was cleared, whether the paints were available or not. Not to mention I have no idea which ones I clicked. I click them because they are pretty! I don't know their names!
      After a few hours, I was lonely and needed a friend so, of all people, I ask the General if I may confess a bit of a blunder. I tell him I've been skimming my sales and spending money on other people's watercolours, almost all of which hitherto have proven equal or lesser to mine. (I'm not being pompous, pure pigment is pure pigment. They either do the same recipe or they don't.) He listens and, as per my request, doesn't judge. Then he clicks on his comp and says I have mail: this receipt? You do realise PayPal informs me of all activity and sends me links to purchases from the stores?

 .... Fucking Hermes. I'm gonna kick his nuts through his nose next time I see him. 

0 comments: