Thursday 11 November 2010

Entertainment intermezzo

It's 5:2o am, dog's still got her snout under her tail, bundled up and far off in dreamland; honey's just gotten suited up and hurried off, bravely, into the coldness and darkness of the real world, with a promise of another dozen of tummy kisses as soon as he walks back in from the door...
          I have about an hour of absolute leisure time during which I can do anything I want at all and never feel unproductive about it, because nobody that's human would ever ask anything of me before 6:3o on a weekday :) So I can eat whatever I want, drink my coffee, go through my mail, doodle with my own pro-bono projects and watch things on full screen and not just on a 12% size up in the corner while I create something else... 
          Today's The Good Wife was beyond brilliant. I can't believe how good TV can be and thus easily lack a string of underwear models in lead roles. (REALLY, Rookie Blue? Really??)
          For a moment I was terribly afraid that seeing Michael J. Fox all scare-crow moving and twitching was going to be a very sad thing to watch. I had to keep trying to tell myself he's an actor, maybe he's just acting? I don't know. But. Two minutes later, when he's blatantly manipulating the jury, who is drawn into like a penguin following a mirror light on a wall, is nothing compared to that absurdly BEYOND brilliant moment, when he's pouring himself a glass of water and nobody, not jury and not us, the viewers, have heard a single thing that the doctor on the stand said in order to explain his testimony - for the jury. That was such a good, good point. Of course he also does just that - plays the jury like a chubby lute, making the opposing council work their arses off and then makes them think they've won... The show has been said to want to show situations, knowing the least about the cases, thus having the littlest as possible to actually disclose, and show the maximum of the theatrics that actually win cases. Boston Legal pointed that out as well, but then you always knew who's gonna win, because they had Denny Crane... ;)
           The third candidate was so all over the place this time, that the poor (regardless of how attractive or unattractive he is) Chris Noth's character wasn't even seen, he had his adorable weasel played by Alan Cumming doing the dirty politics instead. The slam dunk on breast cancer was a little too obvious, but I did agree with the kid's statement that 'politics is fun again', there, for them... I also liked the choice of Lily Taylor for Kalinda's dark secret-not, as there's a chance we'll get more of her in time. Pity these characters only appear once or twice - I wouldn't mind seeing them walk in the door and stay as they do in various other legal dramas :)
           Anyhoo... This was an excellent start of the day. Now it's almost seven and the rest of it has to begin...

0 comments: