Monday 9 August 2021

Almost got bitten by a dog yesterday - it was my own fault and it didn't really go through the skin - victim-blaming, I know, but it was still an odd moment.

           I was on my way from the train station to the professor's, and a young, awesome-looking shelter mix, playful, energetic, on the large side, some kind of a Malinois/Scottish shepherd mix, was walking in front of me, with a young couple. The dog was all over the place, not yet leash trained. They stepped aside, allowing faster people and scooters to pass and I was holding my stamp-size iPod in my hand. I've also recently eaten snacks, and could still smell them on my hand. I'm saying my closed fist, smelling of yummy snacks, passed right in front of its snout. He leaned in and I momentarily thought he will try to sniff it, in a friendly manner. Alas, he grabbed my hand. It was so insignificant and non-threatening, I never even paused, I just complained in a doggy tone: aw! and kept going, mildly embarrassed by the misunderstanding. I am sure the couple behind me reacted and probably asked if I was okay, but really, at the moment, I thought nothing of it. It felt more playful than anything. My mum's dog broke plenty of skin when she was trying to be friendly and did not understand human hands don't take biting so well. 

            That'll teach me to assume all dogs are gentle giants. I could be typing this with a cast on my hand, or WORSE: needed a tetanus shot! (Not big on needles. Dog bites, fine, don't mind, but a medical needle, fuck no. Which is saying something, considering I almost did something stupid, in hopes of convincing my mum to go on a vacation with me - I saw an open clinic administering free vaccine and momentarily considered it. G got tested and his antibodies are at the top of the scale. I should at least make sure I don't have as many antibodies, before considering it. My PCT expires tomorrow. I've used it precisely once in the past six months.) I am not against vaccines in any sense, up until the moment someone starts demanding it. Then I can only see reasons against - including that bit where I ALREADY HAVE THE ANTIBODIES. 

0 comments: