Thursday 26 August 2021

Day 2

Aaww, G is just the most adorable creature: he left the hotel room for exactly four minutes (needed to get something from the car in the lot) and still told me to lock myself in. Mind, this is a tiny, vintage, quaint center-town ski resort hotel cottage, owned by a family and peopled by other families. What exactly could happen to me here - I don't think there has ever been a violent crime in this town in the entirety of human history - in four minutes, I don't know, but that's G for you. He makes sure waterfall rain doesn't fall on me while I'm asking if he thinks spraying the face of a zombie with a fire extinguisher foam might be a good alternative to killing them, to render them disoriented. 


Day two: we offed to the base of our tallest mountain, Mount Triglav (Three-head), named after a patriarch deity, up a valley called Gate. It's a glacial valley, carved and young, though very small and of course no sign of the glacier exists any longer, except for the occasional polished round boulder. It's a bathtub of tall spruces, black soil and endless little white rock/gravel. A small rock avalanche thundered down the face, but never reached us. A tiny river as pure and bright as a stream of emeralds tumbled along us. Quite a lot of people took on ahead, set for climbing Triglav, some already returning, but the majority just only ever does as we did: hikes to the start of the ascend and marvels at the perennial pockets of dirty snow, deposited in the niches where sun never shines.


Getting home, we napped a bit and then I offed to photograph some old railroad bridges but got nowhere. The bandAid I wrapped my little finger around to protect the nail, gave me a blister on another toe, so about an hour into an easy walk, I called G and said I wanna gave diner. I made it back to the room at the exact same time the clouds rolled over the ridge and a downpour started. It rained so much everyone from the covered gallery of the restaurant moved inside, as the roof solved nothing, the rain was too strong. I had gnocchi, but they weren't very good. Then we cuddled and watched a documentary about Mont Saint Michel, which made me think I should invest in a drone.





Pickies to follow. We actually had a bit of sun, before the pour. 

0 comments: