Saturday 28 August 2021

Day 4

Took a pinch to figure out this whole town is wifi covered. But no biggie - blueberry cheesecake and cold coffee instead of lunch, as I wait for another downpour, thinking.


This is a lovely vacation, but so far it is my least favourite of all we've ever been to - last year the weather was almost worse and yet the room was so much nicer and the huge TV kept the General entertained while I grabbed the car and drove around the hilltops and explored the lakes and belleviews. We had another hike in the rain, from the Planica ski-jumping site to the Tamar cottage. We left the wallet in the car, so no pie and coffee there, which I compensated later by going to get some ... dunno the English word, if even there is one, but it was two sweet, cooked dough with filling thingies, with toppings - excellent alternative. The General thus earned not one but two BJs, and has barricaded himself in the room for the rest of the day, again. He is not as happy with rainy hikes as I am.


While we were out, the cleaning lady either oversaw or ignored our 'do not disturb' sign, or she was just really into inertia and couldn't live with herself by leaving a room unattended for three days - she vacuumed and changed the TOWEL (we had nine, we only used up one, as I have my own for the hairy bits, which I am used to and prefer), and changed our entire bed - even understood that I only used the linens to cover myself, because the duvet is literally too heavy - dunno what it is made of, but the weight of it distresses me. I have, though, taken a photo of the sleeping General, as he lay asleep, hugging the duvet and boxing himself in with pillows: he was like a blazing white rectangular snail with his hairy brown butt sticking out. I could eat that creature instead of a pie, he's so cute.  


.. Ah, I can see the rain coming in. Few more minutes ...


Anyhoo. Tamar is the third of these magical thin glacial valleys coming down from Triglav - the glacier carved a tub 14.000 or so years ago, and then the brittle white rock from the jagged rims around it kept crumbling, until it turned the valley V-shaped in the cross-section, with boulders, rocks and gravel packing the bottom and the river rushing underneath. It's less than an hour of a hike up to the cottage and after that, you need climbing gear, because the walls are nigh vertical all around. The last time I was here was around 15 years ago in the middle of winter, everything was completely foggy and white and my army buddy and I hiked alone through untouched snow - it took us almost three hours, the snow being easily thigh high. Plenty of routes branch out from the cottage checkpoint, though, and for those who enjoy that sort of thing, it must be the perfect enchanted kingdom. 


There was supposed to be a WWII bomber that crashed into these walls, of which only some kind of a pump remained. I don't remember specifically, but I think I saw photos of this B52 in the war museum few years back, how people tore it to bits to the very last screw: even the poor ill fortunate crew's parachutes were taken by the local women to make umbrellas, underwear and all kinds of tough-cloth related improvisations.


Since we had nothing in our pockets, I didn't bother going in to get the stamp. If I was allowed to grab the car, I'd spend this afternoon driving around all the places we passed, collecting the stamps for the leaflet that encourages you to visit all those places. I love cottage stamps, I'm just really inconsistent collecting them.  


... hm ... The nimbus diverted. I think I'll go grab the macro and hike up the cute little lake again. See ya!

0 comments: