Wednesday 1 February 2012

The cave house challenge for the statically impaired

There is this house I dreamt of once, that I want to use as the new castel for a Dream king (so I don’t actually have to worry about the material, knowing glass that large can’t really be cast.) Good thing this is just theory, as I never really paid much attention to the statics when I probably should have (except for flying buttresses. You can't NOT notice something called a flying buttress.) and when we are building things, it's the General who does the real-world measuring. I just draw and point. Unlike the houses I usually dream about for myself, which are very clean and kind of Japanese chic meets sturdy Slovenian farm (I know. But it can be done. :P), this one is a designer’s nightmare. Not only it’s made of glass, mostly, it’s almost kind of like Escher’s stuff, because not a single floor is on the same level. And to top that, the house is always half in light, half in shadow, because it’s half built in a cave. The rooms are so designed that some always appear bright and airy and some always appear dark, and compressing. The building employs about fifteen different illusions and yet it’s still comfortable and cute. I’ve spent quite a bit of time in that house, refusing to wake up, particularly because it was so damn amazing, so I have a very clear picture in my head of what it was like, I just can’t seem to be able to make a credible sketch without making a complete mess out of it.

See what I mean? LoL.


I've gotten as far as the first room in the 'old part' (the dark part) called the Greenhouse, and already the numbers don't match.


0 comments: