Sunday 13 September 2009

Sulivan Af or History in between II. and III.




And in between there was Africa.

I left for my big African trip in the start of 2007. My African name was Sulivan Af (as I change names according to continents) and my then husband was all too happy to see me go. Gods, that man was an avatar or poem

'The pains of love be sweeter far than all the other pleasures are..'

The trip took me across Europe, across Gibraltar and around Morocco, then Mauritania and Senegal and then they finally kicked me back when I tried to cross to Gambia. Plan was to make it all the way to Burkina Faso, but in half a year's time I got tired and lonely and wish i could say I redefined my priorities, but I didn't. If anything, I stuck onto all the wrong things even more. A month of rain in Ireland cleansed me of the dirt road grime, but the bookstores and museums didn't make me any happier. I had to go home and face reality of my situation - the "grass is always greener" mode HAD to go.

Looking back now, I realize it was a certain freak show or an opera at the closure of an era. I was 3o and in dire need of a divorce and I realized I'm not gonna succeed abroad any sooner than I was at home. And it's not polite to abandon a ship just because it's moist and sinking. I brought back half a million pickies and in different seasons I highlight the different ones to be my favorite :) Here's just a quick few..

0 comments: